Saturday, July 4, 2015

OPPOSING SAME-SEX MARRIAGE

In response to an article in The Guardian (4 July) about intensified Republican opposition to same-sex marriage and growing resistance to the Supreme Court decision determining that the right to marry is a fundamental one, I wrote the following:



I really do understand that Republicans or conservatives oppose same-sex marriages and the SCOTUS decision finding it a fundamental right.  But I do not understand their reasoning; they are so busy fulminating about it and frothing about religious freedom that they do not set forth the basic reasons for their position.  I confess that I could not likely be persuaded otherwise, but I would be willing to read or hear cogent, civilized arguments against them and it, with cogent, civilized rebuttals of arguments for them.


I would like opponents to justify why a traditional function of civil government in all 50 states does not apply equally to all citizens in them.  We do not live in a sharia-controlled state, and we do not live under some version of the Judeo-Christian-controlled state either.  I would like to know why the religious views of some should determine the laws, or limitations on the laws, applied to all.  I would like to know why the religious views of some trump the religious views of others—and in the name of religious freedom.  I would like to know how and why the marital choices of some people affect the marriages of other people.


Lacking well reasoned, well argued answers to those questions, opponents of same-sex marriage seem little more than aggressive meddlers in the affairs of others which do not affect them.  If it all comes down to serving cupcakes, I would say that the opposition is trivial and splenetic.  More, if they invoke religious grounds to meddle in the lives of others, then I have to wonder at the moral character of their religion.  In particular, whatever “four-word” text in the Bible may condemn homosexuality, the larger context, both in the Old and the New Testament, is a message of welcoming the stranger and loving the enemy.  I see nothing of those moral injunctions in the fulminations and frothings of the opponents of same sex marriage.  So I see nothing in the religious opposition to same-sex marriage but the hypocrisy of invoking religion in order to treat others disrespectfully and abusively.



The “Comments” section provides for just such responses, and I look forward to receiving them.

No comments:

Post a Comment